Union Camp Santa Catalina was proposed as an Indian reservation December 21st 1863 on Santa Catalina Island, California.
On an isthmus located on west end of Santa Catalina Island, California, that a Union camp was located in 1863. Camp Santa Catalina was proposed and built following an incident along the coast with the Confederate privateer CSS JM Chapman. It was thought that it would be a good place for harbor defenses.
The garrison commander Union General George Wright was given the authority to have all persons on the island removed. Wright proposed on December 21st 1863 that the Camp be made into an Indian reservation, to hold the natives currently fighting against Union volunteers in northwest California. Company C of the 4th California Infantry was posted at the Camp January 1st 1864 and served there until the end of the year, when all Union property was removed from the island.