The organization of the 154th Tennessee Militia dated back to 1842. When the old militia system was dropped in Tennessee in 1859, the officers and men of the 154th took out a charter and were incorporated by an act of the Tennessee Legislature March 22nd 1860.
When the Civil War started the regiment was organized at Randolph, Shelby, Tennessee, and it retained its old number. It was given permission to add “Senior” to its regimental number to indicate that it came before regiments which had a lower number. They mustered into Confederate service at New Madrid, Missouri on August 13th 1861. In September the 154th became part of Brigadier General Benjamin F Cheatham’s Brigade. They were in action during the Battle of Belmont on November 7th 1861. They were at the Battle of Shiloh, entering the battle with about 650 men, the 154th lost 199 in killed, wounded and missing. After this the 154th became part of Confederate Brigadier General Preston Smith’s Brigade. They were in heavy fighting at the Battle of Richmond in Kentucky August 30th 1862. After fighting at the Battle of Murfreesboro, where the 154th lost 100 men, they were consolidated with the 13th Tennessee.
When Confederate General Joseph E Johnston’s Army was reorganized for the last time on April 9th 1865, the 154th made up a part of the 2nd Consolidated Tennessee Infantry. Under the command of Lieutenant Colonel George W Pease the Consolidated Tennessee was made up of what remained of the 11th, 12th, 13th, 29th, 47th, 50th, 51st, 52nd and 154th Tennessee Infantries. They surrendered at Greensboro, North Carolina May 2nd 1865, and were paroled the same day.