The CSS Stonewall was built in Bordeaux, France for the Confederate Navy at the request of John Slidell the Confederate commissioner to France. It was a 1390 ton ironclad ram. Just before she was ready to launch in February 1864, the French government enacted an embargo, and sold the ship to Denmark. When it was completed however the Danish government would not accept delivery.
The Confederate Navy secretly took possession of the ship January 10th 1865 and commissioned her the CSS Stonewall. She was placed under the command of Captain T J Page. She sailed for the Azores on her way to America, looking for Union Navy and commercial ships to attack. A storm forced the Stonewall into Ferrol, Spain where she was confronted by the USS Niagara and Sacramento in March 1865. Those two wooden ships declined to attack the heavily armed Stonewall. She reached Havana, Cuba in May after the Civil War ended, and she was turned over to Spanish authorities.
The Stonewall was turned over the United States government in July 1865. After sitting for two years in the Washington, DC Navy Yard, she was sold to Japan.