Thursday, February 10, 2011

The First And Only

At his home in Mississippi on February 10th 1861, Jefferson Davis received word that he had been chosen the President of the Confederate States of America.

Jefferson Davis found out that he had been selected the President of the Confederate States of America on February 10th 1861. He was at his plantation, “Brierfield” with his wife Varina pruning roses when the news came. It was not the job Davis wanted, but he accepted it. Davis’ wife Varina would write that his face became pale when reading the telegram, and after a few minutes, Davis said, “I have no confidence in my ability to meet its requirement. I think I could perform the function of a general." Davis could see there would be a lot of trouble in setting up a new nation, he said "Upon my weary heart was showered smiles, plaudits, and flowers, but beyond them I saw troubles innumerable. We are without machinery, without means, and threatened by powerful opposition but I do not despond and will not shrink from the task before me." Davis left his home the next day for the capital of the Confederacy in Montgomery, Alabama.

No comments: