Monday, June 2, 2014

Reduced In Numbers

Gen Edmund K Smith
Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith surrendered what was left of his troops on June 2nd 1865 at Galveston, Texas.

The Confederacy was reduced by the end of May to the Department of Trans Mississippi including the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas.  Some this territory was even held by the Union at this point.  The commander of this Department was Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith.  Smith had a few thousand troops, most of them located in Texas.  On May 20th 1865 Smith moved his headquarters to Houston, Texas from Shreveport, Louisiana in preparation of defending Texas.  However he lost hundreds of men to desertion every day, as people felt the war was over.


Smith could see the end was coming and May 26th 1865 he agreed to terms proposed by Union General Edward R S Canby.  With terms similar to those offered to other Confederate military leaders, Smith agreed to surrender his Department on June 2nd 1865 at Galveston, Texas.  Following the surrender Smith went into exile in Mexico and Cuba.

1 comment:

Ferne Wolffe said...

Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back often!find civil war ancestor