Fort Macomb was built in 1822 on the western shore of Chef Menteur Pass. It was a few miles from New Orleans, Louisiana. Chef Menteur Pass is a water route to Lake Pontchartrain from the Gulf of Mexico. It was seized by Confederate troops on January 28th 1861 and used for a garrison. The Union re-took the fort a year later.