The United States mint in New Orleans was taken over January 31st 1861 by the state of Louisiana.
The United States, New Orleans Mint in Louisiana operated from 1838 to 1861 and from 1879 to 1909. It produced over 427 million coins during that time. The Mint had operated continuously from 1838 until the state of Louisiana seceded from the United States on January 26th 1861. When Louisiana reconvened the secession convention on January 26 1861 it was decided to allow Federal employees at the Mint to remain at their post, but they would have to work for the state of Louisiana. The Mint was used for a short time to make Confederate coins, the silver O-half dollar. After this the Mint was used to quarter Confederate troops, until it was recaptured the following year along with the rest of New Orleans, by the Union navy under command of Admiral David G Farragut.