The 123rd New York returned to Culp’s Hill on July 2nd 1863 to find their trenches in the possession of Rebel troops.
Formed in Washington Co NY [about an hour north east of Albany NY] in August 1862, the 123rd saw service with the Army of the Potomac at Chancellorsville, before marching to Gettysburg PA. On the first of July the men of the 123rd marched from Littlestown PA, about 11 miles to Gettysburg. They bivouacked near the Baltimore Pike on Wolf Hill. The next day they moved into line on Culp’s Hill where they built a breastwork of logs, under the ordered of Brigadier General George Sears Greene. The regiment was ordered to support the left of the Union line near Little Round Top at about 6pm. Returning to their works after dark they ran into the enemy, who had occupied the breastwork.
A large monument was dedicated to the 123rd on Culp’s Hill in Gettysburg on September 4th 1888. The monument is over 18 feet high and shows “Clio” the muse of history. It cost $4,000.