Friday, July 10, 2009

Holding Onto Kentucky

President Abraham Lincoln wrote a memo on July 10th 1861 to Simon B Buckner about military need in Kentucky. Buckner had been sent to see Lincoln, by Kentucky Governor Beriah Magoffin to express the publics feeling regarding the succession. Lincoln’s note said, "It is my duty . . . to suppress an insurrection existing within the United States. I wish to do this with the least possible disturbance, or annoyance to well disposed people anywhere. So far I have not sent an armed force into Kentucky . . . I sincerely desire that no necessity for it may be presented; but I mean to say nothing which shall hereafter embarrass me in the performance of . . . my duty."

Kentucky became the last state to join the Confederacy, joining them as the 13th state in December 10th 1861.

For more information about Kentucky in the Civil War
The Civil War in Lexington KY

No comments: