A part of the Appomattox Campaign, the Battle of Amelia Springs was fought April 5th 1865.
A force of Confederate cavalry under the overall command of Major General Fitzhugh Lee, and made up of the units of Brigadier Generals Martin Gary and Thomas T Munford, and Major General Thomas L Rosser attacked a brigade of Union cavalry on April 5th 1865. The Union brigade was led by Brigadier General Henry E Davies, and was returning from scouting mission, where they burned Confederate supply wagons near Paineville, Virginia. With the two cavalry units meeting up close to Painesville a running fight began continuing through Amelia Springs, Virginia and almost reaching Jetersville, Virginia. The attacks were made in a mounted combat style with drawn sabers. Jetersville is about 6 miles from where Confederate General Robert R Lee’s troops were concentrating.
When Davies’ troops closed in on Jetersville they were able to rejoin with other Union forces. The Confederates gave up the chase and returned to Amelia Springs. Total casualties were about 250, with the Union reporting about 158 total casualties, with about 30 killed.
There was also a fight that night between two Union divisions commanded by Brigadier General Nelson A Miles and Major General Gershom against the Confederate rear guard near Amelia Springs commanded by Major General John B Gordon. The Confederates held off the Union attack and Lee’s army continued their march.