Just eight weeks after Confederate General Robert E Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S Grant, Lieutenant James M McCallum of the 16th Massachusetts Battery received orders to oversee the building of a monument. He oversaw soldiers from the 5th Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery in the building of two monuments on the Bull Run battlefield. The monument located on Henry Hill would be twenty feet tall, topped with a two hundred pound shell. There are pedestals on each corner which are also topped with shells. It is built from local sandstone, and took the men just four days to construct the monument.
Union General Samuel P Heintzelman, Quartermaster General Montgomery Meigs and Major General Orlando B Wilcox attended the dedication of the monument held on June 11th 1865. There were speeches given by chaplains from Illinois and Kentucky, followed by a firing of artillery located on Henry Hill. The inscription on the monument reads, “To the memory of the patriots who fell at Bull Run, July 21st, 1861.”