Friday, January 21, 2011

Bid You A Final Adieu

United States Senator Jefferson Davis of Mississippi resigned his seat January 21st 1861.

Mississippi became the second state to secede on January 9th 1861. When Jefferson Davis received an official notification of the secession in Washington, DC, he submitted his resignation. In his final speech on the floor of the Senate he said, “I am sure I feel no hostility toward you, Senators of the North. I am sure there is not one of you, whatever sharp discussion there may have been between us, to whom I cannot say in the presence of my God, I wish you well…it only remains for me to bid you a final adieu.” Davis would be appointed the first and only President of the Confederate States of America at a convention in Montgomery, Alabama February 9th 1861.

No comments: