The Confederate Provisional Congress on March 16th 1861 created the Confederate Marine Corp.
The same act that provided for the organization of the Confederate Navy, authorized the Marines. A Corp was to consist of one Major, one Quartermaster Sergeant, and six companies of a hundred men each. The record of the Confederate States Marines were destroyed at the end of the war by order of the Confederate Secretary of Navy Stephen R Mallory, but it is thought to have never numbered more than between six hundred and twelve hundred troops. Most of recruits and their officers trained in Drewry’s Bluff, Virginia at Camp Beall. Detachments of the Marine Guard served at Charleston, Mobile, Richmond, Savannah, and Wilmington.