|Col Peter A S McGlashan|
The 50th Georgia Infantry was organized at Savannah, Georgia March 4th 1862. It was made up mostly of men from the southern part of the state. They began drill at Camp Davis near Guyton, Georgia under the command of Confederate Colonel William R Manning. On July 17th 1862 the 50th was sent to Richmond, Virginia to become a part of the First Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia under Robert E Lee.
The men of the 50th saw action in over 45 engagements, including the Battles of South Mountain, Sharpsburg; where they were part of the brigade which held the bridge over Antietam Creek, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. After the Battle of Gettysburg their Colonel William R Manning resigned his command due to health issues and was replaced on July 31st 1863 by Colonel Peter Alexander Selkirk McGlashan. When Confederate General James Longstreet moved his Corps in the autumn of 1863 the 50th became engaged in the Siege of Knoxville. They would return to the Army of Northern Virginia and continue on through war with fighting at Petersburg and the Battles of Cedar Creek and Sayler’s Creek, where their commander Colonel McGlashan was captured. The men of 50th were still the Army of Northern Virginia when Robert E Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9th 1865. When the 50th surrendered it counted only 30 men on the line.
If you’re interested in reading more about this regiment, check out 50th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Confederate States of America (CSA)